User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: ZED Mikro IV

REVIEW: ZED Mikro IV

alright, first off i want to give a HUGE shoutout to the Vertex Audio team. without andrew and his crew i wouldnt have this amp to review let alone run.

got the amp this morning and unpacked it. the amp is MUCH smaller than it seems in pictures. the build quality on this thing is fantastic, i dont have the proper wrench/socket to remove the RCA's to get gut shots but i will as soon as i can find one. knobs and switches operate smoothly and feel nice, and the manual is AWESOME! its on a CD(didnt know what it was when i took the video), and doesnt just cover the Mikro.

here is a quick unboxing video, i will follow up later tonite with install/first impressions and in a week or so a listening review.

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/mat...O0001.mp4.html

stay tuned guys

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    As far as the freshness....... fuck that. give me a whore who knows how to throw her tits around.
    Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P6000ub
    Front Stage: MB Quart 218.61Q Comps(passive)
    Front Stage Amp: ZED Mikro IV(Vertex Audio fucking rocks!)
    Subs: a pair of JBL GTI MKii 15's Infinite Baffle
    Sub Amp: Mmats D2100.2 @ 1.6 ohms

Re: REVIEW: ZED Mikro IV

I'll put up a gut shot of the Mykro IV from @Vertex Audio's section:

Pay attention to the board layout and you'll get a few cues as to what went into this amp's design. There's some very linear paths which should help tremendously with channel separation. On the left is the power supply section and, clearly outlined, on the right are each channel's stages. On the back row is a line of MOSFETS that cost Steve a pretty penny each. He hand-picked them after many years and uses nothing else based on experience. Finally, in the bottom left corner, right behind the power, ground, and remote inputs is a 30A fuse mounted directly to the board. It's a simple & very pretty board to look at and very easy to tell what's what. I cannot reitorate how small these things are. Think of the P900.4, but thinner and with better pots/connections. This amp is built to last.
    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT Speakers: Incriminator Audio I Series Coax
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2) Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX
    BIG SHOUT OUT TO KENNEDY'S ELECTRONICS. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_sty...FrdzKgQrWe4kDQ

Awesome man! Cant wait to hear your first impressions.
    Authorized Dealers for: Ampere Audio CDT Audio, ZED Audio, Incriminator Audio, Ultra Audio, Mechman Alternators, XS Power, Second Skin and Shok Industries.
    Send us a PM if you need a price quote. And remember. FREE SHIPPING in the Continental USA

preliminary listening impression:

i really should cover install and crap first, but i dont feel like typing that boring crap up before i give my first quick listening impression.

first here is the setup im running:
    Pioneer DEH-P6000ub headunit
    Zed Mikro IV front stage amp
    MB Quart 218.61Q comps(passive)
    Monster RCA's
    Stinger speaker wire
    Mmats D2100.2 sub amp
    JBL GT MKII 15 sub

the only change made was pulling out a Coustic Power Logic Amp-286 and putting the Mikro in and setting the gain by ear just like i did the coustic using the same song(Metallica-Battery)

just took my room-mate to work and had a chance to listen to the amp for about 20 min at moderate volume. with the EQ flat and just using the headunit crossover all i can say is WOW. the coustic is by no means a low grade amp, it may be old, but it sounds great and always has even running bridged. the Mikro is on a whole different level. when i was running the coustic i had to cut the top end on the EQ by a good bit. the only EQ i have running the Mikro is -1 at 2K to clean up the crossover point. honestly i could run the EQ dead flat and it sounds tons better than the coustic or really any amp ive ran.

i have been fighting to tame the Tweets since i put them in. simply swapping the Mikro in COMPLETLEY changed how they sound. highs are still bright(how i like them) but not even remotley harsh. i really have no way to describe the change other than fantastic. "Pantera-Cemetary Gates" has always had a hard harmonic in the guitar throughout the song, using the EQ i had mostly tamed it running the coustic. once again, the Mikro running flat has almost completley removed the harmonic. playing "Santana- Black Magic Woman" is a completley diferent experiance now. i dont have the ability to run time alignment yet, and as such my stage is centered. but even sitting in the driver's seat it now sounds like the stage is much wider. playing songs that bounce from left to right channel alot(Avenged Sevenfold - Save Me) sound much better. midbass is "fuller" but still not where i want it(my doors are still not finished. COMPLETLEY not the amps fault here.). there is more detail in the 80-400hz region and things just sound smoother and warmer.

overall, in the first 20 minutes of listening to this amp i can honestly say that i am more than impressed. i cant wait to get to open this thing up and see what how it sounds at full tilt.

Matt
    As far as the freshness....... fuck that. give me a whore who knows how to throw her tits around.

Nice review

Good to see you are happy with it. Build quality is amazing on these guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    ^I'm with stupid.

Build log: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Zed Leviathan III
    DC 5.0k
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Exodus Anarchy
    Tantric Sounds 24" SHD

And to think, Ive seen soo many threads where people say you cant hear a difference between one amp and the next (a watt is a watt).
    I will argue that until the day I die.

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Nice review

Good to see you are happy with it. Build quality is amazing on these guys!
    Man oh man, played some more dynamic music and it keeps impressing me.i

Quote Originally Posted by weshole View Post
    And to think, Ive seen soo many threads where people say you cant hear a difference between one amp and the next (a watt is a watt).
    I will argue that until the day I die.
    I have to agree. The only place it might not make a huge difference is a spl substage.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sweet. I look forward to hearing it someday.

"A watt is a watt" ignores slew rate, transient/impulse response, and power supply differences.

I too have heard changes in amps (beyond power/dynamics changes).

Rich
    Acoustics Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    Sweet. I look forward to hearing it someday.

"A watt is a watt" ignores slew rate, transient/impulse response, and power supply differences.

I too have heard changes in amps (beyond power/dynamics changes).

Rich
    Acoustics Engineer
    hit me up when you are in gainesville next man. ill gladly give out demo's of this amp.

Matt

What have I done. I'm sitting in the car listening to music, its 12:32. The more I listen to this amp the happier I am. Going to download some classical music tomorrow to give this a real workout.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast